Friday, September 16, 2016

5 Days until Autumn

No way is fall just around the corner! It's hard to believe that summer is almost over.
It's been a pretty uneventful summer. (Unfortunately) we didn't get any big project done around the farm; well, we did get the live electric wire that was hanging inches from our heads where Samantha and I do chores finally disconnected...

Several weeks ago, we discovered (found her by almost killing her when we moved a round bale) a hen sitting on a clutch of HATCHING eggs! Yes, by luck we found her and her, get this, TEN chicks before the cats did...The fluff balls now resemble chickens and we're waiting for them to stop peeping before we let them out of the tractor.

Two days ago I discovered a hen, once again, sitting on a clutch of eggs. And once again they were hatching when I found her! She's in a dog crate for now. I haven't moved her to get a count but I know for sure that 3 of the five eggs hatched....we didn't even know we were missing a hen.

My anxiety is high as we haven't gotten any hay in for winter. We have the money and know who we're getting it from but it's still stressful not having out barns filled with winter food for the critters...

Life happens so sadly no vacation this year. We did do a staycation. Spent the day at a local amusement park with three of my four siblings along with my mom (dad had to work, one brother was sick), went canoeing with Samantha and the parents, enjoyed several picnics/hiking trip with Samantha and our dogs, had fun kayaking with Samantha...and the classic camp fire and hot dogs with the entire family.

I hope everyone had a wonderful summer and is looking forward to the beauty of fall.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment