Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Odysseus

The vet arrived but it was to late; Odysseus had already passed away.

February 21. I was grilling out, making dinner trying to turn a bad day into a good one. It was one of those days where I was tired of being me...I even posted this on facebook...
  • Today is one of those days where I'm tired of being me...realizing this, I have two choices. The first is to allow myself to go down that path; sinking myself deeper into a depressing state. The second choice is to acknowledge my struggles and starting talking to God, literally thanking Him for every single blessing I can think of...And though it's so easy to just give up and do the first, I feel so much better if I simply do the second.
It's 3:30, as I'm getting the grill ready I notice Odysseus laying in the field, enjoying the sunny unseasonable warm day. I go inside and get homemade baked beans and homemade fries ready. I make the burgers and take them to the grill. Odysseus is still laying in the field, it is a beautiful day...
I was about 5 o'clock and I was getting ready to pull the burgers off the grill. Starving I was excited dinner was almost ready; I chose to have a good day, and it worked...
I glance up and notice Odysseus is no longer laying in the middle of the field, but more towards the barn...Hmm, strange he'd get up only to lay down twenty feet away...then it happens. 
I see him try to stand only to slip and fall because of all the mud. 
It had stormed the night before combined with all the melted snow and the fact we live on a sponge, our fields are all slippery and muddy.
I go out to help and see the track; he'd been trying to get up for twenty feet unfortunately working his was into a swap like area. 
He nickers at me when I get close. He's sitting up, covered in mud, soaking wet and exhausted. When I get next to him he lays his head against me..."Don't worry baby, we'll get you out of here."
My dad, mom, and sister appear and we try to get him up. He tried to stand multiple times, only to slip and smack the ground every time, working his way even deeper into the mud swamp (the mud was at our knees and had a suctioning affect)...
We call my brother (who's had experience getting cows up), and he arrives with one of his friends (who also has experience getting cows up). We try to get him up twice, but he's to exhausted at this point.
What started out as a warm day turned into a freezing cold night. Combine that with the fact we're all soaking wet and covered in mud, we're all exhausted. Long story short, we get him on a board and using my brothers truck, pull him out of the field onto the firm, dry yard.
As we're standing there resting, my dad cries, "Fire!"
We look up and see that the exhausted from the truck set a round bale on fire. Spencer jumps in and pulls his truck forward, but the truck catches some hay underneath and it sets his truck on fire! 
*(Side note: my brothers truck is a work truck. It has tools, compressed air, a welder.)
He grabs his fire extinguisher, the one he had bought just the day before and it doesn't work!! He runs to get another from his barn, my dad had already took off to turn the water hose on....trucks fine, hays fine...
Over four hours. It took us over four hours to get Odysseus unstuck and on dry land. We dry him, get him some hay (and carrots and apples), and then work the round bales in the yard into a wind block. He wasn't going to be going anywhere tonight, he was just to wore out...
The next day when I did morning chores, he was still down. He nickers when he sees me and eats another apple I offer him.
I go inside and call the vet. He arrives about an hour later, but is was to late...there was a stillness about him when we approached that I just knew, I could feel my heart drop...
I keep reliving that day...why didn't I check on him sooner. why didn't we try this idea to get him up. what if there was something wrong with him and it wasn't the mud causing the issue. did I do something wrong. was he in pain. what if the vet came out sooner....
I adopted him in 2007. A horse, I owned a horse! I'll miss you and your drama king attitude my beautiful sweet big boy.
Odysseus, my 17.2hh thoroughbred. 1988-2016.
post signature

5 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry to hear this, Gabrielle. A similar thing happened when my horse fell in the creek. It's so hard. Praying for comfort, and that you keep on counting your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

      Delete
  2. Hello Gabrielle. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love horses and dogs and I know how much you get attached to them and then any thing such happens to them it hurts you a lot any way this gives me an opportunity to get connected with you. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India and I love to get connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I am blessed to know you because of who you are in the Lord and your love for Him. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 36 yrs in this city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gabrielle. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love horses and dogs and I know how much you get attached to them and then any thing such happens to them it hurts you a lot any way this gives me an opportunity to get connected with you. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India and I love to get connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I am blessed to know you because of who you are in the Lord and your love for Him. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 36 yrs in this city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete