Monday, February 16, 2015

Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy, By Nancy Leigh DeMoss-Book Review


The author who brought you the book wonderful book, Lies Women Believe has done it again!
I thought I was always a glass half full sort of person, the one who always saw the bright side of things and found reasons to be thankful, but after reading Choosing Gratitude, by Nancy Leigh Demoss, I now realize how much work I still need to do in my life. Being such an easy, enjoyable, and thought provoking read, I had to make sure that I didn't fly through this book.
I wanted to share some of my favorite highlighted moments from the book (yes, I read this book with a highlighter in had):
  • "I have learned that in every circumstance that comes my way, I can choose to respond in one of two ways: I can whine -or- I can worship."
  • "Gratitude is a lifestyle. A hard-fought, grace-infused, biblical lifestyle."
  • "Truly, ingratitude is out first step away from God."
  • "(Referring to Colossians 3:17) Be thankful. God commanded it-for our good and for His glory."
  • "....in every situation...prayer+thanksgiving=peace."
  • "(Referring to Ephesians 5:20) No more, then, can we believe that a person who habitually gripes, murmurs, and worries about his pressures and problems, rather than "giving thanks always and for everything," is filled with the Spirit."
  • "Gratitude is often the only difference between pervasive sadness and pure satisfaction."
  • "Some grumble at why at why God put thorns on roses, while others wisely notice-with awe and gratitude-that God has put roses among thorns."
  • "When thou has thanked thy God for every blessing sent, What time will then remain for murmurs or lament?-R.C. Trench."
In this day and age, people are self entitled, thinking they deserve better and taking everything that they are blessed with for granted.One line that has really stuck with me is, "More than I deserve." 
Oh, how our attitude and view of our situation would change it we only remembered that. I am a sinner and God has blessed me with more than I deserve. 

At the end of one of the chapters she writes, "If you read this book from cover to cover, and are moved by the stories, nod your agreement, even say, 'that was a great book!'-and then simply move on with your life, my purpose in writing it will have failed. It is my intent to issue a call to a radically different way of thinking, living, viewing life, and responding to God's grace."
I think that about sums up the book, if you're looking for a good read this book is it, yes. 
BUT if you are looking for a book that can (and if you put in the effort-will) change your attitude-your life, then this book is a definite read!

"I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review."
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment