Sunday, January 4, 2015

I'm not pretty

There I was, once again, looking at myself in the full length mirror hanging on the back of my bedroom door. 
Reviewing. Critiquing. Criticizing myself. 
From the top of my head to my feet. No part of me was safe.
Finally settling on an outfit, I glance one last time in the mirror.
"Well, this is as good as it gets....I should just avoid mirrors."
I was getting ready to run a quick errand. I wasn't meeting up with friends, and I wasn't getting ready to go to a ball where I was going to meet my Prince Charming. 
No.
I was simply running an errand.
The ideal women stand 5'8", wears a size 4, D cup, flawless skin, tiny waist and curvy hips not to mention clothing that fits like it was designed and tailored to her.
When people complement you, you shrug it off. Rather than say, "thank you." You make a face and make a comment about why they're wrong.
Why is it so easy to devote endless amounts of time and energy to our looks and so little time or thought to what's going on inside our hearts and minds.
What would happen if I, if we, started seeing beauty as God designed it?
We spend so much time in front of a mirror and don't bat an eye at it...Do you spend even half that time praying and studying the Bible?
  • "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both present life and the life to come."-1 Timothy 4:8
In a culture where beauty and style are prioritized, as Christian woman, when we look into the mirror we should reflect God and His word.
  • "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." -Psalms 139:14
This year, challenge yourself to find and point out only the good. When someone complements you, thank them.
So you don't look like the model on the magazine cover, neither do I or thousands of other women.
You my dear reader are the daughter of the King.

So, no. I am not pretty. I am beautiful.
And you, my dear readers, you are beautiful.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment