Friday, August 15, 2014

Beyong Bath Time: Embrazing motherhood as sacred role, By Erin Davis-Book Review

Back Cover Reads:
""Motherhood is under attack. Nearly one in five American women ends her childbearing years without having borne a child, compared with one in ten in 1970. In 2007, among Christians, 47% felt that the roles of marriage and motherhood should not be emphasized for women. And unfortunately, the church isn't talking about why motherhood matters, nor is it equipping young mothers to see their family as a mission field. Erin Davis was a young Christian wife who had made the decision to not have children. She had multiple degrees, a great husband, a promising career -- she had it all -- at least according to cultural standards. But most days she felt anything but fulfilled. In Beyond Bath Time Erin shares her journey to the place of true fulfillment in responding to the call of motherhood. Women will be challenged, convicted, and wonderfully encouraged by Erin's honest and provocative look at motherhood and its divine call. 
A True Woman Book

The goal of the True Woman publishing line is to encourage women to:
Discover, embrace, and delight in God's divine design and mission for their lives
Reflect the beauty and heart of Jesus Christ to their world
Intentionally pass the baton of Truth on to the next generation
Pray earnestly for an outpouring of God's Spirit in their families, churches, nation and world""
~*~*~
My way of thinking is different than most girls my age.
I look at being a future wife and mother as a career, it's what I dream of doing someday; I love every aspect of what's involved. I spend my free time reading how to better myself so I can (one day) be a better wife a mom. 
Not being a mom, my view might be different than others ("that's easy for her to say, she doesn't have any children."), I know that being a mom isn't all rainbows and butterflies. But, being a mom is my career choice.
Even so,  when people ask me what I want to do and I tell them, I get the wide eyed, eye roll where you can tell they're think "One of those...don't you have an ambition?"

Beyond Bath Time is written by a real mom who offers encouragement and hope as she points out how important being a mom is. It's written celebrating and professionalizing motherhood as a career and ministry. 
Erin Davis talks about the lies regarding motherhood in our both our culture and even many churches. 
My mom was a stay at home mom, and had to put up with people belittling her career choice; so motherhood is a topic I'm extremely sensitive about.
And this book reinforces what my mom always taught me; being a mother is the most important thing you can ever do. You are raising the next generation of doctors, police officers, pastors, governors, veterinarians, teachers, etc. As a mom you are teaching them the morals and values they'll have throughout their life.
Motherhood is a sacred calling, and in Beyond Bath Time, Erin Davis encourages mothers not to give up. The biggest lesson through this book is accepting your job of being a mother as a career and ministry. Yes, being a mothers is hard, and you may not seem to see anything growing from it, but being a mom is a God given job.
This book is very well written, easy to read, with sound biblical teachings. 
It's a call to all Christian mothers challenging them to take a good look at motherhood, and see it through God's eyes. 
 
I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment