Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn, By Lori Benton, Book Review


Back Cover Reads:
"Frontier dangers cannot hold a candle to the risks one woman takes by falling in love In an act of brave defiance, Tamsen Littlejohn escapes the life her harsh stepfather has forced upon her.
Forsaking security and an arranged marriage, she enlists frontiersman Jesse Bird to guide her to the Watauga settlement in western North Carolina.
But shedding her old life doesn’t come without cost. As the two cross a vast mountain wilderness, Tamsen faces hardships that test the limits of her faith and endurance.
Convinced that Tamsen has been kidnapped, wealthy suitor Ambrose Kincaid follows after her, in company with her equally determined stepfather. With trouble in pursuit, Tamsen and Jesse find themselves thrust into the conflict of a divided community of Overmountain settlers.
The State of Franklin has been declared, but many remain loyal to North Carolina. With one life left behind and chaos on the horizon, Tamsen struggles to adapt to a life for which she was never prepared. But could this challenging frontier life be what her soul has longed for, what God has been leading her toward? As pursuit draws ever nearer, will her faith see her through the greatest danger of all—loving a man who has risked everything for her?"

Having not read Lori Benton's first book, I didn't know what to expect. This being my first fictions book I'm reviewing for my blog, I had my fingers crossed that the book wouldn't be cheesy and the plot unrealistic. What if I dislike it, but can't explain why? What is I hate it so much, all I can say is I hated it? With high hopes (this book has been on my to-read forever!), I opened the book...Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed!

Tamsen feels trapped in her life. Her step-father holds control of not only her future, but that of her mothers.After tragedy strikes, she is forced to escape the grasp of her step-father. With the help of a complete stranger, Jesse Bird, Tamsen treks into the wilderness, leaving behind everything familiar. Meanwhile, her step-father convinces Tamsen's would-be suiter, that she has been kiddnapped and they need to rescue her. On the run, she learns to survive on the frontier, and what ensues is a life changing journey.
The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn had everything I look for in book.
A historical christian romance, filled with suspense, a realistic romantic relationship development and a dialogue that seemed genuine and true to the character and setting.
The characters are realistic and the plot like was well thought out. The author didn't create dumb scenarios or write day to day paragraphs just to add pages to the book, everything that happens in the book all ties together and adds a great depth to the storyline.
As stated, it is a christian fiction, there are elements of faith all throughout the book, but it didn't come across as preachy, heavy or fake.

The story is constantly moving forward, which made me eager to turn the pages. I'm so glad this book is now added to my bookshelf. 5 our of 5!

To read the first chapter, check out this link HERE!
 To learn more about the author and her other books, check out her website HERE! 

I received this book for free from Blogging for Books for this review. A positive review is not expected nor guaranteed. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment