Friday, May 9, 2014

One step at a time

I dream of waking up in my country home that sits on countless acres, grabbing a quick breakfast and then heading out to work on my organic farm. 
My day would start by milking my cows and goats, whose milk I'd both drink and use to make butter and cheese. 
I'd then, of course, let all of my other critters out of their barns, turkeys and chickens (egg variety), are allowed to free range the property. I'd make sure my meat chickens (who are kept in a tractor) all have food and water. I'd also make sure the pigs are still in their pen... 
All of my goats, sheep, and horses are doing well.
I would then check on my large stocked pond and after head over to work in the garden before the sun gets to hot. On the way, I make sure all of the rain barrels are still set up properly.
Time to start weeding my garden, I'm going to have more than enough vegetables to freeze and can! My tea plants are doing great in my greenhouse. My field of wheat is growing nicely, I look forward to the homemade bread to come. My field of corn, that'll be used to make cornmeal, is also growing wonderfully. 
Driving past my orchard I can see my honey bees at work, pollinating the acres of different fruits and nuts. I drive out to check on my beef cattle and bison, and then check on my hay fields; it's almost time for another harvest.
Heading back to the house I can see my solar panels and wind turbines at work, it's so wonderful to be able to harness the power of the sun.
Grabbing a large glass of sweet ice tea, I head out to my beautiful flower garden where I can marvel at Gods works.

If I had the means, I'd love to dive in head first and attempt to do all these at once. But that's not wise is it? I don't even know where to begin when it comes to half of these things. I'm not that skilled of a gardener either, so if I were to plant a large garden, most of the plants would die due to lack of knowledge and skill on my part. 
What is it about homesteading that has people wanting to do everything at one rather than start slow, with one step at a time.
No amount of reading will prepare you for actually doing it. But the key is one step at a time. 

I have free range chickens and several milk goats. I make goat milk butter, and I'm starting to make cheese. One step at a time...

Don't over whelm yourself, and don't give up you dreams! 

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
What are your dreams?

P.S.
This is my farming dreams-I of course, want to by a homeschooling mother.
Gabrielle W. 
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment