Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Heart Wide Open: Trading Mundane Faith for an Exuberant Life with Jesus, By Shellie Rushing Tomlinson (Book Review)

Back cover reads:
"You believe in God. You’re trying to serve Him. But do you know how to truly love Him—and let Him love you?
As a Bible-believing churchgoer, author Shellie Tomlinson harbored a secret in her good-girl heart. She longed for something more than routine faith; she wanted to love God with a genuine, all-consuming passion. So she got honest with Him: “I admit it. I don’t love you like I should, but I want to love you. Help me!”
In Heart Wide Open, Shellie invites you to answer the call of your restless heart and refuse to settle for anything less than the intimate friendship of God. Through her heartfelt and honest words, you’ll find practical inspiration to help you…
·   exchange your “just enough Jesus” mindset for an all-out pursuit of Him
·   put sizzle in your Bible study by asking God to show you the wonder of His Word
·   trade formulaic devotions for a devoted life
Are you ready to stop struggling to make time for God and instead live every moment with God? Discover how to live with your heart wide open."


The title said it all, "Heart Wide Open: Trading mundane faith for an exuberant life with Jesus." When, I read that, I couldn't request it quick enough.
I've had my ups and downs of faith and was looking forward to discover what this book had to offer.
Unfortunately, I was disappointed.
Now, don't get me wrong. It has it's good points, such as;
*Flypaper faith: "....In my new plan God was the flypaper, and I would be the fly. The mission: to throw myself at Him and stick for eternity." -That's a great (for this country girl) way to look at the relationship I want!
*The prayers: "I admit it. I don't love You like I should, but I want to love You." and, "Lord, teach me how to live devoted beyond my daily devotionals."-I catch myself saying these when I struggle to focus on God, or treat Him like an inhaler rather than oxygen.
*I love the fact it has a bible study/discussion guide in the back.
*It is an easy read-the author keeps it fun and interesting.
The author not only uses biblical stories to inspire, but also her own personal (and honest) stories. It's a short book, at 177 pages (not counting the discussion guide in the back), and it keeps you engaged and provides some helpful tips
It just lacked the umph I was looking for. I was just hoping it would contain more inspiration to drive me and keep me motivated.
Overall, 3-1/2 stars.
To read chapter one, go HERE.
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this book review.
Gabrielle W. 
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment