Saturday, March 1, 2014

Winter Cleaning

Anxious for Spring, mom and I have started our Spring cleaning early.
The past month we've been going through videos, books, clothing, board games and knick-knacks, clearing out, making space and all together decluttering.
Mom's taken at least four trash bags, and three boxes full of stuff to Goodwill (not counting all the trash we held onto, that we finally said adieu to).
I want to share some of the things we've learned along the way that makes cleaning easier.
  •  The biggest tip of all is, pretend you're moving out of state, would you want to have to pack it and haul it. This is a great tip and worked wonders as we sorted through knick-knacks.
  • I read a tip somewhere that when going through your closest, trying to get rid of clothing, to think, "Would I buy this?" and if the answer is no, they toss it. Now, I'm not rich, so I can't just toss things I don't like and I have lots of work clothing-clothing I'd never wear off the farm....I don't have enough space to keep winter and summer clothing out, so every year when put one away and get the other out, I toss anything I didn't wear that year...Also, going through my closet I ask myself when was the last time I wore that item and to be honest with myself if I actually plan on wearing it or if I'm just keeping it because it's cute....Another tip is to try it on again, so many times I'll try on a shirt I had been holding onto and realize that I didn't like the way it fit me.
  • Make three piles; Keep, Toss, Donate.
  • Don't try to do everything at once. Start with one closet/drawer/box at a time.
  • This tip is a little sneaky, if you have someone who holds onto everything (*cough* my dad *cough*). Clean while the person is away, (I'm not talking about tossing their favorite shirt just because you hate it!) get rid of the things the person won't miss and even forgot they held onto.
  • Don't clean if you're feeling nostalgic. Seriously, if you're cleaning out old papers (i.e. some drawings I did years ago), you will want to keep all of them. I'm all for keeping old drawings, and even some old school work pages, but honestly, you do not need to keep every single page!
  • We didn't have enough eye catchers to have one, but think about holding a yard sale, it's amazing what you're willing to get rid of if you are selling it.
  • My issue is when it comes to cleaning my bookshelves. I dream of having a big library in my home one day and if I'm constantly getting rid of books I'll never have enough books to fill it. So, when clearing out bookshelves, (if they're not library books) sell them to a used book store. We took two bags and a box to Half Price Books once and got almost 30 bucks for it! And I was able to buy books I loved rather than just liked.
Another tip I have is keep things organized. If you organize a room, say in example, the garage. And yet, you are always having to put things back where they belong, chances are it's not organized correctly for that rooms use..
Our next step is to actually clean things now, you know, wash windows, ceiling fans, curtains, etc.
No thumb twiddling here!

Gabrielle W. 
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

1 comment:

  1. Gabrielle,

    I came across your blog while doing some research on bloggers who might be interested in reviewing a new title by Dannah Gresh and Dr. Juli Slattery. They have co-authored a book called Pulling Back the Shades (releasing March 1 from Moody Publishers), that exposes the dangers of erotica for both single and married women.

    Dr. Slattery and Gresh examine erotica from a spiritual and sexual standpoint, providing Biblical teaching, personal stories and testimonies from those affected by erotica to help women navigate this uncharted territory and discover how to embrace their sexuality and spirituality. While the Bible is clear on topics such as adultery and incest, Slattery and Gresh point out where even God is “grey” on sexual matters.

    Would you be interested in reading and reviewing this title for us? We're looking for reviews to post during the month of March, and would be happy to provide an extra copy if you'd be interested in hosting a giveaway.

    I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
    Caylen
    Icon Media Group
    blogs@iconmediagroup.us

    ReplyDelete