Wednesday, February 5, 2014

February begins...

I can't believe that it is the 5th of February already! Another part of me keeps thinking, "already a month into the new year, and what do you have to show for it! Nothing. What are your plans for life Gabrielle."...but that's another story...

So...guess what...we have a new house cat...Yep. Not planned, not wanted, but it happened, now he's loved (a total keeper).
Fred, now the only surviving of  his litter, is now an indoor kitty. How did this happen, you ask?
You see, his sister, Georgia, was sick so we brought her in and went ahead and brought Fred in to keep her company since they were the remaining two kittens (from their litter of four)...
Sadly, Georgia passed away, so we were left with Fred.
Fred had an eye infection (or something), the face around the eye was swollen....Long story short, his eye ended up swelling, we had been cleaning it (and still had him inside), so since we had already lost 3 kittens this winter, Samantha decided to take him to the vet (a very hard decision to make since he was a barn cat)...
The vet thoroughly cleaned his eye, ran two tests, wormed him, gave him a two week antibiotic shot, and gave us eye drops for his eye. Literally, the following morning, I went to get my shower and had the heat going to warm up the freezer, er, I mean bathroom. I stepped out my so brother could brush his teeth, he comes out and says he thinks Fred's eye had popped out. What? No, I was JUST in there, it's just gooey (I had just put the eye drops in)...sure enough, I go in and his eye was popped out!! Not as bad as you're picturing, it wasn't dangling down his face by a string...his eye had both popped out and popped (his "eye" was leaking down his face).
By the time we got him to the vet his "eye" was shriveled and resembled a raisin, but Fred seemed to feel better, as if the "popping" had relieved a lot of pressure...we talked to the vet, and Samantha decided to go head and pay to have his eye removed and to have him fixed....
So, yeah, a new house cat, now dubbed, Captain Fred...technically he's Samantha's cat, but shhhhh, I still call him mine. He goes back in one week now to have all the stitches removed.

The day after my last post, Spencer delivered 11 round bales (and 3 days later he brought 16 more). So much stress is off my shoulder with hay back in the barns!!

Last night there was a freezing rain, I practically ice skated to do chores this morning! I also had to climb over the gates, the latched were frozen!!

I really hope spring comes soon!!!
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment