Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs

The Women of Christmas: Experience the season afresh with Elizabeth, Mary and Anna. By Liz Curtis Higgs.
"A sacred season is about to unfold for three women whose hearts belong to God. Elizabeth is barren, yet her trust is God remains fertile. Mary is betrothed in marriage, yet she is willing to bear God's son. Anna is a widow full of years, yet she waits patiently, prayerfull for the Messiah to appear in the temple courts. Following in their footsteps, you too can prepare for the Savior to enter your heart, your mind, and your life in a vibrant, new way. Best-selling author Liz Curtis Higgs explores the biblical stories of Elizabeth, Mary, and Anna, unwrapping each verse with tender care and introducing you afresh to The Women of Christmas."

With Christmas upon us, what a better time to post this review. I'm going to be technical first; it's a really quick read (though I spread it out and used it as a devotional this month). As usual, Liz writing style is amazing and makes for a wonderful read.
Every Christmas I read the story of Christ's birth. And even though I've read those versus numerous times, and from different bibles, I've learned so much from this book, and it has really opened my eyes and made me appreciate these women even more. So many times I caught myself amazed at something I overlooked in these stories..I really enjoyed how she uses different translations of a verse to get the point across.
This book isn't just about the women, Liz also talks about their husbands, Elizabeth's husband questioned God. Mary's betrothed worried. But despite it all, they remained faithful to God.
These women are brought alive in the book! Each chapter opens with a Christmas carol and those set the theme for the chapter...And scattered through each chapter are encouraging and enlightening quotes from women from Liz's online bible study.
Liz really out did herself with this book. 
Truly a beautiful read, I recommend everyone read this! 

To read the first chapter, check it out HERE. For more information check out these two links, more info, and the authors website

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this book review. 
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment