Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Saying Goodbye

My childhood isn't filled with memories of friends, slumber parties, being on some sports team, or being a member of a club...When I reminiscence on my childhood I see only one thing.
My cat.
While my brothers look back at their childhood and they see all the friends (and fun) that they had. I didn't have friends. I had Princess.
I still remember the day my dad took me to the local shelter to pick out a kitten; though I was only 9 the shelter wanted the "owner of the cat" to fill out the paperwork, they wouldn't let my dad buy the kitten, so rather than surprise me with a kitten, he surprised me by bringing me to the shelter. Turns out I chose the same kitten he wanted to get me...
I remember the many nights I cried, burying my face in Princess, and how whenever I cried Princess would come and find me, meowing and purring all while rubbing against my face.
I remember her favorite car treats (Catty Shack), and how she loved sleeping in and on boxes..and as I write, unable to see due to my tear filled eyes, I say goodbye to her.
It's been over a month since she passed away, and I still don't want to blog about it...She's passed away and with her a piece of my heart.
I don't want to talk about it, but I will say this...
The night before, I feared her time was coming...So, I begged her, pleaded with her, 'not yet, don't leave me yet...I'm not ready...'
I wake the next morning and she's still with me (little did I know before noon she would pass away). I was holding her, soothing her, talking to her, kissing her and telling her what she meant to me and how much I loved her...I also told her, 'It's OK, you can go home now Princess. You can go home. Don't hang on for me anymore. It's OK. You can go home.'
She held on for me until I was ready; which was just like her always worried about me...

My oldest & dearest friend...my baby girl...I love you Princess (my little possum)!
5/8/1999-11/8/2013
 Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment