Thursday, November 21, 2013

I can't wait to be a mom...

"What are you doing?" A little girl asked.
"Just looking at the ocean." I reply with a smile.
"Why?"
"Because it's pretty." With that she wonders away (back towards her mom), only to return a moment later smiling as a wave touches her feet.
"Today's the best day ever right!?" She said enthusiastically with big grin.
"Yes, it is the best day ever." (by the way, that made my day-cutest little girl ever!)

That is just one of the many moments I realize I can't wait to be a mom. My actual thought when these moments happen is, "I want a baby."
I dream of taking my kids to the zoo and seeing their excitement upon seeing the elephants. I imagine taking them to the park and hearing their screams joy as they play of game of tag...I think about home schooling them and actually participating in the process as they learn and experience new things.
I'd be that super fun mom, always surprising my kids with fun things, making their birthday uber-special, themed dinners and just because party days... Every holiday, I picture taking my children trick-or-treating, and oh, don't get me started on Christmas! I can't wait to share Christmas with my kids! I can't wait to take pictures of my kids and buy super cute clothing for them. I can't wait to be able to encourage them and give them all the love they need. Mommy and me days, play dates with all my friends and their children...Story time before bed, introducing them to The Magic Tree House series , "It spun faster and faster and faster, until everything was still. Absolutely still.". Late night kisses, tucking them in, and bringing them to visit their grandparents...And most of all, I can't wait to tell my children about God...

But though all those things would happen, it's not the full reality is it.
Most girls I've heard talk about wanting to be a mom, "I want a baby now", don't realize how tiring, mundane and monotonous being a mom is...It's a full time job...and a baby isn't an accessory. A baby isn't a way to get attention and feel important. Being a mom is the most important job out there and becoming a mom shouldn't be taken lightly. Honestly, being a mom isn't all fun and games...
Being a mom involves so much more than all those highlights listed above.
When you think about being a mom you, do you think about, late nights, lack of sleep, tantrums, doing laundry for the 8th time that day, watching the same movie days in a row? Or cleaning the contents of a diaper off the wall, attempting to remove vomit from the carpet, having to pack all the children into the car just to go to the store for toilet paper. And then there's not being able to have date night because you can't afford a babysitter, you might be on a tight budget and can't afford to go to the zoo...

I already have experience of what being a mom involves, I have 13 children actually, OK, so they're the baby of the 4-legged variety. Other than morning and night feedings, they basically take care of themselves...And they still require so much time and money...
When we had the kids (baby goats) inside my mom once said that, "You girls are in training to be moms." Why? Well, with kids (even though they're but 4 days old) it's like having both a newborn and a toddler around...We have to bottle feed then, clean up after them when they potty AND the kids are putting things in their mouths, pulling things off tables and climbing onto the tables. That's a lot of work, and even though it only last a few days before we move them outside, those are LONG days.

Now, obviously, I still want to be a mom and go through all the ups and downs of what being a mom means...but right now, at 23 years old...I'm OK where I'm at...When I get married (unless I'm in my 30's) I don't want children right off. I want couple time for a few years.
I want to travel the world (or at least the USA) and go on adventures. I want time to be me. Some say what I talk about is greed; me, myself and I...maybe, but is there anything wrong with wanting to discover myself and build my relationship with God?
I still have my moments of, "I want a baby, now!"...but I'll just fill that want by stealing my friends kids for a day. 

Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment