Monday, May 13, 2013

We've got Lambs!

I woke up at 8:30 this morning and headed on out to do chores.
I enter the girls barn, and holler my usual, "Good Morning!" And all the goats along with Esmeralda, greet me with there maas and baas...but where's Abilene (there my babies, I know there baas and maas apart. I can be at the house and tell you who's making noise...but I'm getting off track).
I walk back to the sheep stall and Abilene is laying completely flat.
"Are you ok?!" Then, I see it. Two tiny feet and a the tip of a nose and a tongue! She's in labor!! I let Esmeralda out of the stall and decided to run back and wake Samantha and tell dad (and of course grab the camera.)
I get back to the stall, and I can tell that Abilene must of been pushing for a while; she's worn out, so I decided to aid in the delivery. With my help, with two pulls (I only pulled when she pushed) a black little lamb was born!
This morning was cold, so I took off my jacket and started drying the lamb. I glance up and Abilene is laying completely flat, not moving, with her eyes close. So, I quickly moved the lamb to her, and she opened her eyes and started licking her, and the more she cleaned the lamb, the more she...livened up. THEN, out of no where she starts pushing really hard...
"That can't be the after birth, I mean, I know from experience and they don't normally push like that..." I look, a nose and two more feet! TWINS! Another black lamb! After cleaning this lamb a little and putting it up at Abilene's head with the other lamb, I quoted a Disney movie (which, if you know me happens a lot), "All the things I've seen and it's only 8 in the morning!"
At this point Samantha and Dad arrive, dad could only do a quick look, he had to get ready to leave. But, with Samantha's help, I was able to learn that the first born lamb...A EWE lamb!!! The second, a RAM lamb!!
Because the wool was like a wet sponge I hooked up a heat lamp, just in case. And after I did that, I cleared Abilene's teats (making sure it would be easy for the lambs to drink-and to make sure she had milk).
All day today I've been on a high, I'm so happy and excited! I feel so blessed and keep thanking God!!
Though, I need to add that I am so paranoid! With the goats, we'd take the kids and bottle feed them, I took care of the babies....I have to trust that Abilene, a first time mother, will have her instincts help her...I checked on her every hour today! And from what I could tell, her instincts had kicked in...when the lambs baa'd she'd search out who had hollered and lick them.
I'm just so excited, it's all I've been thinking about all day!

I have baby doll lambs! I have baby doll lambs!!
For at least tonight, we set up an area to keep Esmeralda out of the stall, but still next to Abilene. Now we're excited to see Esmeralda have her lambs! Wonder when she'll lamb....hopefully not this Saturday!

Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment