Saturday, May 25, 2013

Meet little "Leah"

Exactly one week after Abilene had "Samson & Delilah"; on the 20th Esmeralda had a beautiful ewe lamb. It was later in the evening and we noticed Esmeralda was in labor. After about an hour of pushing with little to no progress (you could make out one foot and the nose), I "went in" and pulled when she pushed....boy, the little girl was big!! Esmeralda had one large (she was a little bigger than my week old twins) beautiful little ewe!
After Esmeralda had Leah; we had dad come out and band Samson and Delilah's tail and give them their CDT shot. They didn't even react to the shot or banding.....we still have to tag their ears; but we're waiting for our Scrapie tags...On Thursday we banded "Leah's" tail and gave her a CDT shot, she reacted a little different than my lambs. She kicked her legs, would lay down and try to roll over, but after a few moments she was fine.

The other day; Wednesday actually, I noticed Galahad limping. He didn't want to put any weight on his front left foot, so I go out and to my horror, there was a nail sticking out!!! I get dad, we fight trying to pull it, I'm freaking out thinking how deep is it! When Spencer arrives home and we have dad hold Galahad and Spencer pull the nail. The nail pops right out, it was in less than 1/2 and inch...the following morning, I notice he isn't stepping on his back left (same horse, same side, different foot)...what are the chances.... apparently pretty good! Another nail!! I get Spencer, we pull it...this one is in 1/2-3/4 inch in....I should note; both nails went in at an angle....we're keeping his hooves cleaned, soaking them with apple cider vinegar, and praying he doesn't go lame or get an infection...it's dry, and the past three days it's been chilly so, I'm really hoping the wounds heal quickly....I know there are people that read this and will go off on the vet train, 'call the vet, blah blah blah', but you have to realize, right now, I have money to feed my animals...I don't have money for a horse vet to come out (100+ vet visit, plus diagnosis, prescriptions, meds, etc.) ...and besides, I did research, and basically, the only thing the vet might do different than what I'm doing is offer antibiotics.

Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment