Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What's Wrong?

The ninth Samantha and I went out to do our nightly chores, Samantha's walking ahead of me (I'm busy with the hose) and I head her holler, "Fubar's dead," my heart stops.
Well, it turns out she yelled, "Fubar's DOWN. He's lying flat." My mind likes giving my heart attacks.

I go in and after checking him over for injuries, we both lift him onto his feet hold him for a second and then he's fine, he walks on over and starts munching on hay as if nothing happened. We decided to give him a vitamin B shot, just in case.
I go in the next morning and he's down (flat) again...Since Samantha's at school I get mom to help me lift him, but this time, he doesn't take any steps, after a few moments he goes to take a step and falls. We try again, and again he can't walk, as if he's lost control of his back legs...We prop in against a wall (to keep him from lying flat), give him hay (which he chows into).

I have no clue what's wrong with him. So I google, and google, and google some more. I also post my question on  www.thegoatspot.net,  an amazing goat forum community. After several answers, most being I have no clue, it might be.
I've started giving him Vitamin B shot once a day in case it's goat polio, a shot of penicillin once a day in case it's listeria, we've putting electrolytes in their water again, and I gave him a (once a month) oral gel of Selenium & vitamin E...So, hopefully he starts getting better.
He's compleley normal other than the fact he can't walk. His poops is normal, his pee is normal, he doesn't seem to be in any distress, he eats and drinks....
Yesterday, when I got him to stand I went to get hay and turned around and he had taken a few steps, he stopped because he started to wobble and then went down, but still, hopefully that's a sign of improvement.
......
One of the kittens in almost 100% better...her sister on the other hand, isn't doing so well...I don't think she's going to last much longer......

Let's pray they both get better.
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand."Psalms 37:23-24 

No comments:

Post a Comment