Sunday, February 10, 2013

Don't Skip

Ever notice how skipping (not to move by hopping on one foot and then the other but to skip, as in pass over without reading, acting etc.) makes you weaker (physically, emotionally and mentally)?
If you skip brushing your teeth you get cavities, if you skip exercising you get weaker, if you skip school you won't learn, you skip cleaning the house for a while junk collects (a house in chaos is a mind in chaos), you skip dinner you go hungry....you get the point. 

I've really felt the affect of skipping lately is when I skip making time for God. 
When I don't read my bible (or my christian living books), when I don't pray and talk to God, I get weaker...If I skip a day, I realize my mind isn't on God throughout the day, but rather on things on this world; gossip, jealousy, self-hate, greed etc.

Rather than thinking,-"I'm happy my younger brother's getting married. He's a great guy and his fiance is so nice and fits so well into our family. I can't wait to be apart of their wedding and have another sister." I think,-"Gosh, why is it he gets everything just handed to him on a plate. Until he met her he didn't even want to get married! Why am I older than him and still single!?
Or,
Instead of thinking, -"I'm so excited, all my exercising and healthy eating if finally paying off, I look great! I'm so proud of myself! For once in my life I'm happy with who I am!" I think,-"I'll never be pretty or skinny. Why do I even bother working out and watching what I eat...it's so unfair how I have to work so hard to loose weight while everyone else can eat whatever and not gain one pound!"
You get the idea. When I make time for God, my outlook on life is so much more optimistic (and this is coming from a major optimist!) 
When I spend time with God, I feel happy throughout the day, I find myself praying more and talking to God more, wanting Him to be in control and to guide me. My thoughts are on Him and I know everything will work out.

But I don't have time today, I have better things to do...I've said this exact sentence before...I'm to busy...Really? You're to busy for God? 
To help me make time for God, before I get out of bed, I say a prayer asking God to guide me and bless me this day (along with other things-you get the point, it's about inviting God into you day). I then during lunch (I'm a morning person, but I can't focus when I first get up) read my bible and christian living books. I also write in my prayer journal.
I write my prayers down because when I close my eyes to pray, I'm A.D.D. I never focus on God, but when I write my prayers down, I'm focusing on God 100%. It's just something that helps me pray....I also when I get into bed, thank God for the day, and just talk to Him. 

So what about you? Do you find when you skip you time with God you get weaker? What do you do to make sure you make time for God?
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24
   

No comments:

Post a Comment