Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Thousand Things

My mom was telling me about a book she read where a women decided to write down one thousand things that she was thankful for. The idea was that it would make her happier because she didn't take for granted the things in her life.
My mom decided to take the challenge-and after two months she only has 92 things written down!
The idea is to write down things that you are thankful for, but go into detail as to why. And of course, be sincere about it, don't just write down random things. In example, the women who wrote the book was thankful for the October Mornings (or something like that) and she went into detail about how she loved the way the sunlight seemed to dance on the fallen leaves etc...another example, she saw an elderly man buying a greeting card and something about that made her happy and thankful...

So my 2013 resolution is to try to write down one thousand things I am thankful for. I'm not going to write down gibberish just to get to the thousand, and I'm going to try to avoid repeats (sometimes it can't be helped if that's what you are really thankful for that day, go ahead and write it down). But it's not just about things you're thankful for. It's also about gratitude and in a way, things that make you happy. For example, the first thing on my list is:
After haying the boys in the morning I love how Awol, Todd or Copper will follow me out (sometimes all the way to the gate, sometimes they just stick their heads out the door) and they will 'ma' at me, sad to see me go. It makes me happy and feel extremely loved that they don't want me to leave, that, even if it's just for a second, they'd prefer to leave the fresh hay and follow me...

So please, join me and discover things you don't realize you take for granted, things that you are truly happy for and why! Every 50 things, I'll blog about, so you can see what I am thankful for.

What are your New Year Resolutions? What are you thankful for? Please feel free to comment below!

Happy New Year everyone!
Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment