Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cowgirl

"Cowgirls don't need make-up or nail polish! We got mud."
"True cowgirls girls wear camo."
"I'd rather watch a rodeo than a ballet."
"A cowgirl has at least one article of clothing with John Deer on it."
"Cowgirls don't cry."-I have a real issue with this one.

Something that has bothered my lately are quotes and saying about "cowgirls" (like the ones above).
They bother me because basically according to the quotes, I'm not a "real" cowgirl.
Why? I enjoy 'girly things', I like painting my nails and wearing makeup. I love dressing up and wearing heels. I do love rodeos, but I also enjoy ballets. And I don't have any camo or John Deer things... But don't let my lipstick and heels fool you, I can go from makeup to mud in 3 seconds flat.
"Cowgirls don't cry." This one, really, REALLY bugs me...I cry. Being female, I cry a lot. Not at nothings, when I cry there is good reasons for it. Physical pain I can (for the most part) walk it off, huff and puff and yell, but not cry.
"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love."- Washington Irving.
Tears are words the heart can't say. When we lost Baby, my heart felt like it had been ripped in two. There were no words to describe the pain I was in, it was so overwhelming, so I cried...
"Grief heals us, even though everyone wishes you would hurry it up and be okay already. Our tears baptize us, wash us, hydrates the ground at our feet, where we might now be able to let some amazing new plants grow." -Anne Lamott.
Denim, cowboy hats and boots mean nothing....I feel a that it's not the clothing that makes the cowgirl, it's the attitude and heart. Cowgirl, to me, involves so much more...

What are you thoughts on this?
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment