Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Good-bye Hatchly



Hatchly: 2007-10/15/2012, Black silkie rooster. Our blind and very gentle rooster.
This past week, I noticed Hatchly not doing to well. Which, strangely made me sad...Most of the time, when a chicken dies my thought is, so goes life. We live, we die. They had a happy healthy life....but this time, I felt..sad....

Hatchly was one of my favorite chickens. He was super sweet. When you would get into the chicken yard, he would always end up by your feet. When he first started to loose his eye sight two years ago, he learned very quickly that we would feed him, so at feeding time he'd start pecking by our feet...It was a little hard having a blind chicken, even though he knew where the feeders and waterers were, when he would peck to eat, he'd slowly back up, starting to miss the feeder. So every night, I would brace him with my hand to make sure he didn't move while he ate.

Sunday night I went out and he was in the back of the coop sitting there, hunched down...I went over to him and asked (yes, I talk to my chickens), "how you doin' Hatch?"
What happened next, tugged my heart strings, he perked up and started making to make happy clucking sounds, he tried to walk closer to me, but was to wobbly. So he just sat there, perked up and making happy noises as I stroked his back....
By Monday Hatchly had passed and went to be with Baby, and all my other loves who touched my heart.

I know some of you may read this and laugh, all this for a chicken?!...I don't have an arguement as to why, all I have to say is, yes, all this for Hatchly, a blind silkie rooster, a blog post just for him.
Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24



No comments:

Post a Comment