Sunday, August 26, 2012

Empty me so I can be more like You

I was reading a christian living book, and came across a paragraph that really spoke to my heart...and it said things along the line like this;

*Once our minds are corrupted, our hearts memorize these scripts, and then they seep into our lives.

*"A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."~Luke 6:45

*Everything you choose to take in through your mind can be stored up in your heart, and it is your heart that determines the direction you will take and the choices you will make in the future when confronted with temptation. 

*Sow a thought, reap an action;

Sow and action, reap a habit;
Sow a habit, reap a character;
Sow a Character, reap a destiny. 
~Samuel Smiles

*"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellsprings of life."~Proverbs 4:23

Movies, songs, advertisements, and even books, fill our minds with everything opposite of pure thoughts. Movies tell us that sex outside marriage is ok. That disobeying your parents makes everything fall into place. Doing drugs, cussing and breaking laws are cool and hip (do we say hip still?). Movies tell us that to be pretty you have to be skinny, plaster make-up on your face, go to a tanning booth, and wear the latest expensive trends.
I'm sure we have all fell in love with the latest hit on the radio, knew every word, would sing it loud and proud only to discover that you're singing about something that is far from what a Christian (or anyone in my opinion) should sing about.
The more you're around something, the more you except it, and the more you start thinking about.
I stopped watching ANY scary movie. Why? My mind absorbs those images and makes me so terrified even the thought of God wouldn't calm me. I can't even watch the previews for them, I clog my ears and close my eye until it's over...and  after cleaning my mind of that, guess what? I can be alone in the dark and be ok with it, I can do chores late, in the dark, all alone and not once get scared. 
I cleaned my life of something that didn't build me up and the results have given me such confidence when I get scared. 

My goal this year was to read through the New Testament (which I am working on-I'm in Acts right now), and I'm praying everyday, now the next step to living a more pure, God centered life....I'm cleaning something out of my life...I'm going through my iTunes and deleting anything that doesn't praise God, or build me up.
I'm also going to be very careful about the movies I choose to watch....if I watch a movie and I see skinny scantly clad girls, I start hating myself, "I'm so fat and ugly."...and you know what, I don't like it when I start thinking about myself that way. So, bye bye movies that pull me down!!!
 
It's going to be hard, and I know I'll stumble, but when I picture the finish line is so worth it!! A confident, happy, not caring what others think girl.

I read somewhere a rule of thumb is;
'Don't watch, read or listen to anything that you wouldn't want to watch, read, or listen to with you mom, dad, grandparents or pastor. A very good thing to remember.' 
 
Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment