Thursday, August 9, 2012

Appreciating the Small Things

I was talking to a friend on Facebook, she just got married in June, her husband is just out of college, so they're just starting out and dealing with lack of money-well, a tight budget.
We were talking about how we both grew up in a family that had spaghetti and PB&J's a lot because they were cheap.
Which got me thinking about how much I really do love the way I was raised.
Yeah, it would of been nice if we weren't so broke, but I'm talking about how I was raised to appreciate the small things.
Growing up we never went out to eat. I remember the feeling of excitement when mom and dad would stop at any fast food joint to get a dollar hamburger (half a burger per child). It was so exciting!
I remember when mom would surprise us with full size candy bars, or let us go rent a movie. Growing up all my clothing were hand me downs....but you know what, I think growing up this way made me into the person I love being.
I love clothing and style-but I only shop at Good Will and Thrift stores. I love going out to eat but I appreciate a home cooked meal just as much.  I am in no way embarrassed about using coupons.
I appreciate going hiking or on a picnic. When we're able to go anywhere that costs money (the zoo, canoeing, etc.) I love and live every moment of that experience. I appreciate what went into being able to go.

Do you appreciate the small things?

Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

2 comments:

  1. Has anyone told you lately how very wise you are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you made my day! Thank you so much Jodi!

      Delete