Friday, May 25, 2012

Midnight Twins!

I typed this up yesterday while eating lunch but I didn't get around to uploading a picture until now so as you read it remember the kids were born the very early morning of May 24th. 

All day yesterday (the 23rd) I could tell Dorothy was close to kidding; from 9am I was sure it'd be 'today', but Miss Dorothy had other plans.
 Despite all the signs of kidding (which reminds me I should do a blog about kidding/raising kids) she didn't show any signs of actually labor....waiting....waiting....around 4ish I was sure it'd be soon, very soon....waiting.....waiting...at 9:30pm, with her happily munching away at her hay I decided I had had enough and that I was tired and ready for bed, so away the animals went for the night.
At midnight; Samantha and I were 30 minutes away from finishing a movie (to quote Samantha "she ruined our movie night!" and yes she's just joking she's not really mad) when dad hollered up (I guess he wanted to check on her because I didn't ask him to-isn't that nice of him!) saying she was "giving birth".
So, down the stairs we flew in a flash and out the door to the barn in quite a mad dash (sorry I had to rhyme it!)
We got to the barn in time to see feet, I went all midwifey and helped Dorothy deliver the first kid... a beautiful buckling with coloring like his 'older sister' Naomi but ears like his 'older sister' Tianna.
After drying the buckling off I could tell that Dorothy was going to have another one so I handed the little boy off to Samantha to keep warm and got ready....as she pushed and the kid started to come out the first words from my mouth were 'is it OK? what's wrong with it' because with the sack and fluids covering the kid it looked as if it didn't have any fur and as if some muscles were showing.
But, thankfully, the kid was fine it was just it's coloration. A beautiful solid brown/golden/tan color buckling with smaller floppy ears.
A tiny part of me is sad because there was no girl this year, but I'm really excited for three reasons.
First, this is Dorothy's first time having a boy. Second, this is Dorothy's first time having twins. And third, of the three sets of twins we've had, this is our first mismatched pair!

Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

2 comments:

  1. How sweet!!! I love how they are twins but are sooo mismatched. :) So cute! I can't wait to come over and see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I was going to say I hope you don't get a chance to see them...but then after reading it I realized that it sounds mean....what I mean is hopfully they sell quickly so I don't get attatched to them! They are to cute!!

    ReplyDelete