Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It's a girl!

Yesterday, after a mildly tough delivery, around 3:40, we welcomed a beautiful black and cream doeling into the world. Both Annabell and baby are doing great.

I noticed when I let the goats out that Annabell was going into labor; secluding her self, not running to eat the hay put out, nesting, and talking to her belly a lot.
Samantha planned on Annabell kidding while she was on spring break, but what she didn't count on was being sick also. Poor Samantha has been sick since Sunday!
I kept an eye on Annabell for a while, letting Samantha sleep as long as possible, but I went and woke her at one in the afternoon. Annabell really loves Samantha so, I figured if Samantha was out there she might kid quicker.
Though Samantha woke with a slight fever, she still went to say hello to Annabell, and since she'd been sick several days, mom made her an appointment at 3:30.
After they left at 2:45, I headed out to check on Annabell, she was sitting in a corner, having contractions, so I sat down and kept her company.
After what seemed like forever the 'bubble' appeared, and a while after that one hoof appeared, trying to get a better look to see if the other hoof was there, I grabbed the leg only to have the kid pull it away and back in (I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone for a moment)..
She's getting up and down, barely pushing, turning and licking the straw and chasing after the barn cats...
When she finally got serious, after more pushing, I was finally able to see both feet and the head, but instead of the head coming out nose first, it was coming out forehead/face first.
I decided to help and aid in the delivery by straightening the legs, I carefully grab both hooves and waited for Annabell to have a contraction and push, when she pushes I pull but the kid doesn't budge; it's like she's wedged in.
Annabell is doing the goat version of screaming, her 'area' is stretched as big and it can get, I'm terrified she's going to tear.
She pushes again and I attempt to pull again, still, nothing...I'm all alone so I do the only thing I can think of and say "God, please help me, I don't know what to do!"....
Annabell screams again, stands up and takes off to the other end of the stall, and because I still had a hold of the hooves, to kid came out into my hands.
I lay the kid on the ground and it's not moving I grab rags and start rubbing, drying and stimulating the kid....MA! (Followed by Annabell answering). It's alive! (Thank you God!)...Drying the kid, I make my way down to the butt, to check to see if it's a girl or not....guess what! It's a girl!!!!!

I dry her off, and wait a few moments to see if Annabell has anymore kids coming, and then I take the kid inside. As I'm heading back out to check on her, Samantha and mom get home.
Samantha milks out Annabell (giving her an ample amount of grain), brings her fresh hay, turns on a radio for noise and heads inside.
We continue to check on Annabell every 15-30 minutes up until we did chores for the night.

I told Samantha that it's probably a good thing she wasn't there for the birth because Samantha gets really stressed and...well, paranoid about it....

So, yep, we have a beautiful little doeling now, which in a few days we'll have for sale....it's a good thing I'm not rich and we don't have a lot of land or I would end up keeping all of the goat kids we have!!!

One doe down, one to go....thankfully not until the end of May.
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment