Sunday, January 8, 2012

Keeping a Journal

I love keeping a journal. I've been keeping a journal for, well, as long as I can remember. I write down my thoughts, fears, hopes, and information about what's going on with my life. 
I keep a journal for many reasons; writing it down helps clear my mind and helps me let it go and not be so stressed. Sometimes when I write it's my way of talking to God. 
I also keep a journal for future purposes; so when I'm older I can look back and remember, also for my children, my children's children, and there children, etc. 
With all this technology, texting and emails, we've lost a part of our life's story. People use to write love letter (or normal letters to family), they would keep journals, they'd keep family story's alive by telling them to each generation, they'd keep a great family tree (usually in the family bible) and all those items were passed down; creating an amazing keepsake!!!
During winter, when not much is going I usual journal about my self, sort of a get to know me deeper part of my journal. 
I've made a list of some easy starting topics (some of them I'm using this winter). 
When you write about one of the topics, try to give as much detail as possible! Imagine if your great-great-grandma did something like this and only put yes or no answers; though that would still be neat, it'd be disappointing! So; grab a note book, a sketch book, a real journal, and start writing!!!!! 
P.S. This would be a great project for kids!

  • List five things that make you happy.
  • What's your favorite hobby?
  • What's a silly name you use for an everyday object?
  • Where is your favorite place?
  • What is you favorite season and why?
  • What can you remember about your first day of school?
  • What was your favorite toy as a child?
  • What is your favorite holiday? (New Years, Valentines Day, Easter, April Fools Day, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas).
  • Do you play an instrument (now or in the past) if yes, what was it, were you any good and did you enjoy playing. If don't play, what instrument would you want to play if you could.
  • What was your dream job as a kid?
  • If you had a million dollars list five things you'd do with it.
  • What is your favorite book? Write about your favorite as a child, teen and now.
  • What is your favorite movie? Write about your favorite as a child, teen and now.
  • Write about your mom.
  • Write about your dad.
  • Write about your experiences with friends.
  • What are your three most important things in life?
  • Do you remember loosing your first tooth? What happened?
  • If money was unlimited, what's something you'd want to do with your life?
  • Do you play any sports?
  • Write about one random childhood memory.
  • Write about a family tradition.
  • Write about an embarrassing moment as a kid.
  • What's the most exciting adventure you've had in your life so far?
  • If you had the opportunity to go into space would you? Why or why not?
  • What was one of your childhood games?
  • One regret you have about yourself as a child.
  • Did you build tents as a kid?
  • What are your goals and dreams?
  • Did you have a favorite blanket as a kid?
  • Describe how Halloween was for you as a kid.
  • What's one thing you hate and why?
  • How do you feel about cell phones?
  • Are you an artsy/craft/diy person?
  • Describe your dream Christmas day.
  • List five random things about yourself.
  • If you could change any part of yourself, what would it be and why?
  • What's one thing you fear?
  • One thing you're sorry you never pursued.
  • What was your very first job where you receive a real paycheck?
  • What 'around the house' chore do you hate the most?
  • What are some childhood (age 0-7) television shows you watched?
  • What are some childhood (age 8+) television shows you watched?
  • Have you ever been on a stage?

Remember, this is suppose to be fun and stress-relieving! No one is going to judge you or grade you.
Some tips:
Try to keep it neat, trust me, it's very frustrating when you look back and can't read your own handwriting.
Make sure to put the date down each time you write!
If using a pencil, keep a sharpener near by, it's much nicer to write with a nice sharp pencil.
DON'T use lol, rofl, ttyl, lmao, g2g,---NO text talk people! 20+ years from now you might not know what it means. In an example, my Aunt used short hand on the back of a photo and now has no clue what it says.  
Something random;
I always start my journal with "Hey," or "Hello," and end it with 'Love Gabrielle".
I've also wrote, "sorry, I'm back" more than once in my journal, as if I was talking to someone.

Happy writings!!!
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24 

No comments:

Post a Comment