Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Christmas Trees

So; the title may seem strange since Christmas is long past and it's January 18th; I meant to post this sooner but I got distracted...
Christmas is over and the decorations are taken down; now, what to do with that Christmas tree...why give it to your goats of course!! Not only do (at least our goats) act like the pine needles are crack; but they'll also strip off and eat all the bark. Pine is also a natural dewormer. Because we have two bred does I double checked and there is no danger to bred does. And even though our does aren't milking I checked and it shouldn't affect the milk.
I'm talking about the Christmas tree type -firs and whatnot; and from what I read, actual true pine trees can cause abortions in pregnant ruminants, this includes goats sheep and cows...now I'm not sure what a 'true' pine tree looks like but right now I'm just sticking with my Christmas tree. Pine trees are high in vitamin C; so there's another perk.
Also; we cut our own tree so be careful with the pre-cut trees; many trees are sprayed with a chemical to keep them fresher and greener once they are cut and I read a story about a women's goat heard that got sick because of it...also if you use those 'icicles'; I wouldn't risk feeding the tree to your goats; just like with cats and dogs you don't want your goats eat that.

Our goats went crazy when we put the tree in there pen; and even the sheep go in on it. Now the skeleton on a Christmas tree sits in their yard waiting to be brought to the fire pile.

Don't forget to follow me on Pinterest. Follow Me on Pinterest
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment