Friday, November 25, 2011

Pumpkins as a Natural Dewormer

I do hope that everyone had a very Happy Thanksgiving! I know I did, and surprisingly, even though the food was absolutely delicious (as usual) I didn't over eat this year!!

Chickens love pumpkins (especially when they're broken open). Pumpkins are also really good for chickens! Usually after Halloween people just scoop them off the porch and toss them. But if you have chickens you are doing them a big disfavor by not feeding them the pumpkins, especially the seeds.
After carving the pumpkin for Halloween please do your chickens a big favor and feed the seeds and also the meat from the pumpkin to them. If you break a pumpkin open and give it to your chickens, they will pick the meat and seeds from the pumpkin until all that is left is a thin shell of the skin is left.

Pumpkin is a natural dewormer.  Pumpkin seeds have a coating on them  that paralyzes the worm and then the worm can be expelled by the digestive action of the gut.
Some people say that you need to dry the seeds first but, the active principle is contained in the seed coat and is damaged by heating. Raw Whole Seeds are the most effective.
I read a lot about using pumpkins for chickens as a dewormer so I got to wondering if it's the same for goats and sheep.
I found one article say it won't work on ruminant animals. Some people said it works for pig and rabbits as a natural dewormer...so, I'm still not sure....what I do know is that pumpkins are very high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and fat, so, dewormer or not, they're still very beneficial to your animals!!!

Since Thanksgiving is over, it is now time for me to focus on Christmas...I love Christmas (I know I always say that, but it is true!) I need to get my room decorated and ready for December...I need to finish choosing deserts for my 25 days of Christmas Goodies....I need to finish getting my Christmas themed blogging ideas together......I need to finish up my Christmas shopping.....

Ta Ta for Now!
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment