Thursday, October 20, 2011

To see someone worthwhile

First off I love Disney Movies. Always have, always will.
One of my favorites is Mulan. And there is a quote in it towards the end that I think speaks true to everyone at one point in their life.
"Maybe what I really wanted was to prove that I could do things right. So that when I looked in the mirror I'd see someone worthwhile. But I was wrong. I see nothing."
I was talking to my mom about how I wish I had more impressive things to talk about. And how I wish I could impress people....and she said that I only needed to worry about impressing myself and God...that's the thing, I don't impress myself. Sure, I've done things that made me feel proud of myself but, nothing that I felt impressed by.
"So that when I looked in the mirror I'd see someone worthwhile."
When I look in the mirror...I don't see me, I see, as the quote goes, "nothing".
I guess that is one of the many flaws I have. I compare myself to others way to quickly and easily. Doctors, military, actors, singers, dancers, models, college students, welders, mechanics, artists and veterinarians. These are things people are impressed by. They're impressed by experiences, degrees, beauty, careers and possessions.
I've been on a plane once in my life heading to DC (thanks to my Aunt).Growing up my family went camping maybe once a year and about three times (total) we went to South Carolina to visit my grandma. I've been on one road trip that didn't involve my parents and that was with my sister this past year to Tennessee. I took pottery lessons, once a week, for about six months when I was 14ish. When I was like 5ish I took swimming lessons for a few months at the YMCA. And two years ago I took a 6 week course of horsemanship. That's all the lessons I could take (remember I have four siblings and lessons are not cheap).
There you have it. Everything I've done and everywhere I've been.
Not a lot to be impressed by....according to the world and media.
I have to work on being impressed by the things that are impressive.
I know how to ride a horse. I can milk a goat with no trouble. I know how to grow food from things that look like tiny rocks. I can crochet almost anything from a toy to a blanket. I've raised several kids (goat kind not human). I've raised chickens from chicks. I'm a great cook. I'm a great listener. I'm a caring person who puts others first. I'm have a great passion for animals. I'm really good at taking pictures. I've kept a journal since I can remember. I have a blog. I don't need to wear makeup or fancy clothing to feel pretty (though I won't lie, those things do help and I love getting dressed up; after all, I don't dress up much living on a farm). I'm great with medical situations when it comes to our animals (to a point; I could not be a vet).
"Maybe what I really wanted was to prove that I could do things right. So that when I looked in the mirror I'd see someone worthwhile. But I was wrong. I see nothing."
This quote haunts me, every time I look in the mirror I always think; am I worth while or am I nothing.

"Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."~Luke 12-7

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." ~Romans 12:1-2

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us..." ~Romans 12:6

I am wonderfully made! (See Psalms 139)...when you look in the mirror what do you see...better yet, who do you see? The first song Mulan sings is 'Reflections' and there is a line in it, "Who is that girl I see staring straight back at me, why is my reflections someone I don't know."...to be cheesy and say another line from song from Mulan, you need to be true to your heart. Stop trying to conform to the pattern of this world!!

God loves you just the way you are, but He refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be just like Jesus.~ Max Lucado.


So I need to work on being impressed with myself...oh well, I guess it's better than thinking too highly of myself.
I know that God loves me for me, and I know He has a plan for me.....

Stay warm my dear blog readers!!!
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment