Friday, August 26, 2011

Canning Time!!!!!

Yesterday was the first day we started canning; on the canning list? Green Beans...lots of green beans! So far we have 14 quarts canned; with at least 14 more to come.
We've been freezing zucchini and yellow squash slices.
Our corn did awful this year-at very least there are 100 stalks and of the 100 stalks 20 had corn growing on them...
We still have yet to get any tomatoes. We have 20 large plants; all with tomatoes on them; but they're taking forever to turn red!!
So far; our watermelon, cantaloupe and dessert melon are growing well. Along with our grapes and, sort of, our pears.
We didn't get any strawberries this year. Our apple trees have no apples....I lost track of time and never harvested our blackberries-so they went to waste... NOT OUR YEAR!!

Mom and I (because we're the ones that do ALL the work) decided that next year we're shrinking the garden size. We're going to grow everything we've been growing; but in a smaller amount...enough to enjoy fresh from the garden; and maybe can and freeze a little; but not near as much as we have been. The reason we've decided this is; first; as I said mom and I do all the work...sure when the year begins; dad and Spencer help by tilling, and they, along with Samantha, help plant the seeds...and sure when the seeds first sprout they help how and weed....but Que in 90 degree weather and only mom and I are in the garden. Que in lots of weeding, again, only mom and I...Que in harvesting a ton of zucchini, squash and green beans, again, mom and I.
Remember, we planted to feed seven people for at least half a year...that's a lot of food!!
And while we're doing all this work in the garden; only mom and I mow the yard; only mom weed whacks; only mom and I do the dishes, laundry, and make dinner (though sometimes Samantha will make dinner)...and while we're doing all the work; everyone else is doing things they want to do.
Samantha is working her horse; dad is working on his motorcycle or riding his bike; Spencer is doing his projects...sure Remington and Colton didn't want a garden; but they sure do enjoy eating the fresh produce!
So, yeah, mom and I are tired of watching our summer fly by with us only doing hard work...We're also tired of putting in a lot of time (and money) and not have anything grow...we're still going to garden, just is smaller portions.

Samantha started college Monday....I have conflicting feelings about it...yes, I'm happy my sister was able to get the ACT, get accepted into Wilmington College, and most of all; I'm happy she was able to get a lot of grants so she won't be as deep in debt...
But, I....*sighs*....she comes home talking about this and that; talking about her professors, her classes, the people, the clubs, the experience....and here I am, day after day, same old same old...
Now yes; I don't want to go to college (I want to be a stay at home mom and raise buffalo and breed horses), but Samantha talks like this is the best thing ever...like it's a big deal... I don't know....Everyone acts like it's a big deal; like if you don't go you're wasting your life, or you're not smart...it's just frustrating and depressing...especially since I don't have but a few friends (all of which have countless friends and are always busy) I don't go out ever....I don't ever have anything to talk about...

But...I'm keeping my head high (well at least trying)...God has a plan for me, I just have to be patient.....
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment