Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Spending money on needs not wants

With farming, and owning animals, you have to be very careful how you spend your money. It takes a lot of work to make sure one manages their money properly.

Like with fair coming up, my sister is busy working on the fair projects and spending money on the fair projects and has slowly started to neglect her non-fair animals and responsibilities. Spending money on her fair chickens but not her egg chickens, doing her fair-related chores, and not doing other chores, such as help get the duck run up, feed the horses, mow, etc.

Since my job has never gotten back to me about my hours (and yes, I've called and emailed numerous times), I'm really, REALLY, short on cash. But, I manage the money I do have really well.
Yeah, I'd love to have those cute summer shirts (of which I have none) I saw at Goodwill, but, I can't spend even three bucks on something I want. I have to save that money and spend it on hay, feed, straw, and other animal related items-things I need.

My mom has told me before that she's afraid, and feels bad that, because of my animals, I'm missing out on a lot of experiences and fun.
But you know what...my animals are my best friends and are always there for me. They make me smile, laugh, and they make me ever so happy! With out my animals I don't know who'd I be. A while back, if I didn't have my animals, I wouldn't of gotten out of bed.
My animals are my world, and for me, missing out on 'experiences and fun', it's worth it.
So yeah, I can't go shopping with my friends (well, I can't buy anything), I can't buy that shirt, or decorative item, or those shoes marked to fifty percent off....but it's worth it.

I won't lie though, there are times I wish I had money for this or that...how I wish I could go to the movies and not feel guilty...but, when I say no as I walk away I feel bad for like two seconds, and then smile remembering I have a horse to ride, fresh eggs to collect, a goat to hug, a dog to baby and a sheep to adore....but most of all, I remember, I have goats, horses, dogs, cats, sheep, a few ducks and some chickens that are all love me for me; they don't care that I don't have that cute summer top, they don't care that I haven't seen the latest hit movie.
They love me unconditionally. And after a long, hard day or working in the hot summer sun, and nothing going right, a 'happy to see you' maa, baa, quack, neigh, cluck, bark or meow, makes all the bad melt away; and makes me appreciate even more the blessings God has given me.

I knew signing on to the farming wagon, I'd make sacrifices, and I wouldn't do it any other way!
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment