Monday, June 20, 2011

Ducklings galore!

So, the 17th I headed out to do my morning chores and discovered Keiko (my call duck hen who had been sitting on a nest of eggs) was the proud mommy of 14 ducklings!!!!
I'll get pictures up soon!!

It's raining here; which makes me very, VERY happy! We just planted some pasture seed in one of the horse fields.
Mom, dad, and Colton are in NC (they left the 18th) helping my grandma out with somethings, so I'm here 'playing house'. I do the cooking and cleaning.

At 10:30 pm the 18th, yet another irresponsible owner dumped there problem on us; yep, that's right we now have another 8-12 week old kitten in our barn.

I have an amazing story to share about my parents (and youngest brothers) trip to NC
Mom, Dad and Colton headed to NC to help my grandma with stuff; on the way there they hit a pothole on the busy highway and my dad made a comment about how the truck wasn't the same after (shaking and everything), well, a while down the rode they stopped and right when the stopped the front tire fell off! God was truly watching after them keeping the tire one until they stopped!
To add to this, the gas station where they stopped a good year auto service truck had just finished filling there tank and the two guys came over and immediately helped get the tire back on; my dad told them he didn't have any money before they even started and they said "no problem a hand shake will be payment enough"!! AND an older couple drove back down the rode and found one of the lug-nuts for mom and dad!!!
God was watching over my family!!

Ugh, with this rain, it's raining enough to cause sticky mud, but not enough to cause puddles. Well, last night, we found one of the ducklings stuck on its back in the mud, I cleaned it up and then latter last night (the temperature had dropped and it was jacket weather) we found it stuck on its back again-we were sure it was going to die, so we brought it in, dried it off and put it under a brooder lamp. Thankfully, it's much better this morning. Just now, Samantha came inside and said "the one can have a friend now" yet another one was stuck on its back in the mud! And this one is my favorite of the bunch!
So I just finished drying it and putting it with the other...let's pray this one recovers as quickly as the first, and let's also pray NO MORE STUCK DUCKLINGS!!!


Before dad left he he started putting up the other side of the chicken run. This side will be for the ducks.


We have four more eggs in the incubator, Samantha's friend gave her the eggs from his ducks, they'll be a runner duck type cross. Two weeks to go for them (it looks like three of the four are developing).

As I said, I'll get pictures of the ducklings up soon, along with updated pictures of the chicks and the four ducklings we hatched. Also, we're not planning on keeping all 14 ducklings, we'll be selling most of them.
I hope everyone is enjoying there day!
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment