Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Latest News

Hello dear friends!
First and foremost, it hasn't rained in a while so the ground has had time to dry a little. I think the only animal not enjoying this dry weather are the ducks.
The horses have been enjoying access to the fields; when it's really wet we keep them out so they don't destroy the ground.

The other day the Spencer and Samantha put up fencing between two fields. Now we official have two goat fields (three counting where Fubar and Snafu eat). Our electric goat fencing isn't working so the younger goats keep escaping. And let me tell you, this act is very frustrating. We have a solar electric fence charger and there is no reason for it not to work.

We're out of hay today, and won't be able to get more for a few days so the goats won't be happy. Though, they have A LOT of wasted hay (where they pulled it through the feeders) on the ground, so if they get really hungry they can munch on that. The milkers get lots of grain in the morning and night, the kids (and sheep) now since we're out of hay, will get some feed in the morning and at night. They also have a nice field of grass. So (though they won't be happy and we're not happy about it either) they'll live a few days with no hay.

The horses have just about shed all there winter coats. I'm so excited to ride this year!!! Though, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to since I need to work as much as possible to help out with bills and stuff.

Oh, the four chicken eggs we put in the incubator are due to hatch today or tomorrow! Fingers crossed!!! Samantha's meat birds (and the four hens we ordered) are due to come next week, the same day as the first batch of duck eggs are due!!!! I'm so excited!!!!

Today is super nice, BUT (according to the news) it's the end of the no rain spell. I was hoping to clean out one of the goat stalls but we don't have straw, yet another thing I don't have money to buy.

Well, I think that's all for now, I'll keep you updated on the incubating eggs!!!
With love from my back porch to yours.
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-2

No comments:

Post a Comment