Monday, May 2, 2011

Horse Movie reviews: Secretariat (2010)

I bet you all were wondering when I'd write a review for this new movie, huh! Well, here it is!!
Secretariat
Google Image
Housewife and mother Penny Chenery (Diane Lane) agrees to take over her ailing father’s Virginia-based Meadow Stables, despite her lack of horse-racing knowledge. Getting a colt nobody wanted, with the help of veteran trainer Lucien Laurin (John Malkovich), Penny manages to navigate the male-dominated business, ultimately fostering the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years and what may be one of the greatest racehorses of all time.
The Real Secretariat-Google Image
Rated pg for brief and mild language. Run time 123 minutes. I love, love, Love this movie!!! Secretariat is my favorite racehorse, for many reasons! First, and foremost, his story is amazing, and his win at Belmont, FANTASTIC!!!

Fun trivia.
Not only did Secretariat set the record for the fastest time at the Kentucky Derby (1:59 2/5), each of his quarter-mile splits were faster than the preceding one, which means he was still accelerating at the end of the race. His split times were: 25 1/5, 24, 23 4/5, 23 2/5, and 23.

Secretariat wins Belmont!! Google Image
The racing scenes in Secretariat (2010) are all recreations except one: the Preakness which is seen on an old TV in the Tweedy family den. That's historical footage of the actual race.
The Triple Crown trophy seen after the 3rd race is the actual trophy, not a replica. It was loaned to the production by the Kentucky Derby Museum, and was human-accompanied on the trip from museum to film set and back.

Here is Secretariats Belmont win!!!! (Youtube video I found)



Another reason I love Secretariat is, well, you all know Odysseus right? 
Well, Secretariat is Odysseus' grandsire!!!!


Don't believe me? Well, he has a tattooed lip, and upon getting the numbers/letters, we did a search, his registered name in Mr. Grayson.


(CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE) Mr. Grayson (aka Odysseus)-to Akram- to Secretariat!
  And though Odysseus never raced (he hurt his knee while in training), I love him all the same, and I find it really cool to own a small piece of history!

Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

2 comments:

  1. GABRIELLE THAT IS SO AWESOME ODDYSSEUS IS SECRETARIAT'S GRANDSON!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I'm calm now. :) I looooove that move <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!! I couldn't believe it when I found out. I also love that movie.

    ReplyDelete