Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What do YOU want to do with your life?

When people ask me, "what do you want to do with your life" (when you were 5, "what do you want to be when you grow up"), how do I answer?
It's a common question for seniors in high school and even more common for those like me, I've been out of high school for...three years, and, I'm not going to college.

When I was five? I wanted to own a zoo and travel the world filming animals.

A few years ago, I would of answered a horse breeder and trainer.
Now? Well, I still would like to breed, raise and train horses, but on a much smaller scale.

My answer today would be,
"I want to be a stay at home mom, that home schools. But I also want to raise buffalo, breed and train horses and run a self sufficient farm."

Even before, when I wanted to go to college to get a BD in Equine Science, almost everyone I knew smiled and said, "oh, that's nice." But I could see them roll their eyes or hear it in there voice that they were thinking, "psh, horses are a hobby, you need a real job!"
It didn't matter that horses were (and still are) my passion and my dream. They wanted me to have a 'proper' job, like being a nurse or a teacher. Very few supported my career choice.

Now, saying I want to be a stay at home mom people look at me like I'm crazy, as if it's impossible to be a stay at home mom, or as if I'd be wasting my life, or, again, being a stay at home mom isn't a real job.

I always open with the stay at home mom part because being a mom is really important to me (though people still give me looks).
After I mention the mom and home schooling part, I mention that I want to raise buffalo, breed horses and run a self sufficient farm. When I mention these things I get...nicer looks, but I still get the "you're crazy" looks.

If you're like me, you've been in that doctor chair (doesn't matter what type of doc, eye, tooth, foot, whatever) and the nurse and/or the doctor will ask you, "are you going to college."
Uh....you mind goes blank. "No. College isn't my thing." They look at you like, "So, get over it, you need a career."
I need to try to speak up, and remember, I know what I want to do with my life, I just have to wait for God's timing, not anyone else's!

You wanna know something? I still kind of like the 'what do you wanna be when you grow up" deal. Why? Because I feel that we never grow up. I believe we never stop "growing up". We are growing up in love, hope, knowledge, fear, strength, courage, compassion, understanding, and faith until the day we die.
There are people out there spending most of their lives doing something they absolutely hate, just because it's good pay, or they feel they should do that job.

I asked my mom, what she wanted to be when she grows up and she said, she is what she wants to be. She said that she was made to be a stay at home mom.

So, what do YOU want to do with YOUR life????

Warm country thoughts,
Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment