Sunday, February 20, 2011

We've got kids!

Well, sometime this morning, Sophie had two beautiful kids, a doeling and a buckling, I found them when I went to let the animals out. They were still wet so we just missed the kidding.
And, of course, the past week it's been really nice-sunny and warm, today, cold and freezing rain.
Being the only one outside, I gathered them into my coat and made my way inside.
Upon reaching the door (with the kids heads sticking out of my coat), I could see mom, she was looking at me all confused, by the time I opened the door and stepped inside, she finally registered why I was back so soon; to be honest, it was quit funny.
Mom took one and we made our way up stairs to Samantha (who was still in bed), to quote her,
"aw, what a good way to wake up...but Sophie! You were suppose to have them late at night not early in the morning!"
After passing them to her I went back out to finish chores.

We'll be putting the kids for sale in the next couple days, which isn't going to be fun; honestly who wants to sell a baby?


Taking the kids away from the mom isn't the highlight of my farming career.
But it has to be done; we can't keep the kids, and we need the milk.
Thankfully (at least with all our goats) when we "take the kids away", the 'moms' don't seem sad or upset, they act more like they're confused, as if they know they're suppose to be doing something or caring for something not missing there 'babys'.
I give my animals emotion to easily and it would be easy for me to just leave the kids because I don't want the 'mom' to be sad.
But animals don't have the same feelings as humans, they're not self-aware, meaning they don't know emotions they know instincts.
Someday, I hope to raise buffalo (for meat of course) and I'll have to watch cute baby's grow to butcher weight (I'm not going to hand raise the calves of course!).
Again, something I'm not going to look forward to but it has to be done.
God didn't originally plan for us to eat meat, but after the flood, he told us,
"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything," Genesis 9:3 NIV.
And, to be frank, I enjoy meat. And by raising it I can guarantee that it had a very healthy, happy, outdoor, feet in the grass, head feels the breeze, body warmed by the sun,  life, as God would want.

Well, one doe down two to go, at least we have until next month till they come, maybe it will be warmer for those kiddings...
Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment