Friday, February 4, 2011

Vintage, Antique and Unique

I remember the very first time I went into an antique store, I remember the beautiful wood furniture and the amazing artwork hung upon the walls. I remember the sweet sound of the grandfather clocks chiming.

I love shopping (even if it's window) in antique stores. Things made "back then" are built better, more beautiful and were built to last, (notice how you can still buy, in perfect working condition, cars made in the 1930's, get a car from 2003 and you're lucky if it still works.).
"Back then" people took pride in the things they made, now-a-days you have to pay four times what it's worth to get a decent bed frame or bookcase.
Though most "antique" stores charge an arm and a leg for an item that's not even 10 years. There are so many hidden treasures tucked behind the doors. I love going into a antique store and finding that item you weren't even looking for.
My mom and I found a large picture of Noah's Ark and; let me say; it was awesome and there was no price tag (this picture came with nice frame and looked like it was worth a good 40 bucks) we asked and got it for 8 bucks!!!!


I love old things. I'm not a vehicle person (meaning if it runs I don't care what 'brand' or color it is), but I'm IN LOVE with 1920-1940 vehicles! To me; they're just classy and awesome.

Now, yes, "old items" have scratches and bumps. But that's just character; it tells a story. Like cup rings on wood tables; when you see it, you think about parties thrown, the children raised, and the love shared.
In 'old, vintage or antique' stores you find so many unique items; some of the items you wonder why someone would even make it, some you laugh at the ugly color, others you wish you had that much money to buy, and others you dream of one day owning. When I go into antique shops I imagine one day having to go shopping to decorate my home. Unlike Wal-Mart or Ikea you can bargain at most antique stores (If you're up to it; I still feel rude when I do), it's actually expected! We bargained one time and got a nice set of wood chairs for $3.25 each-we bought the set of four for $15. The seat covers were coming off, an easy fix, but we used it to our advantage! Find the flaws, point them out and ask for a discount! The worse thing that could happen is the seller will say no.

Next time you're in the market for a gift or an item for your home, check out a local antique store!
Gone Antiquing!

P.S.
Sorry for this pointless blog, not much is going on here and I'm trying to keep my hands busy so I don't eat a billion calories.

Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment