Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Vacation I'll Never Forget

On Facebook, there's this thing called, 30 Days of Pictures About My Life, it's where you upload a picture (coordinating with the question of the day), like day one was a picture of you with ten facts about yourself.
I find it a fun way to let your friends and family get to know you better.
I'm up to day 20, and today the question was, A picture from a trip you'll never forget, so, I wanted to share this story...

I was probably about 10, when we camping at Hueston Woods and it was quite a camping trip.
First, we went swimming in there freezing cold lake and I stepped on a fish hook,
after that Samantha and I decided to go take a warm shower, the shower water was probably 15*.
Later that night, we all took our skeeters around the camp ground area, and we found a neat (dead) baby turtle, and (being young and dumb)
I picked it up and took it back to camp, well, my hand smelled like death for the rest of the day (and night).
Then of the entire empty camp ground a group of people chose the spot right next to us and all night they kept tossing something into the fire
causing the small fire turn into an inferno, lighting up our tepee. The next morning we discovered raccoons had opened our van door and had eaten almost all of our food.
One of the ’coons (who also must of eaten the dead turtle) took a bathroom break in the back of the van under the seat (we, of course, gagged and let mom have the pleasure of cleaning the ginormous pile up).
We decided to go ahead and stay one more night, as planned (to let the van air out). And we left really early the next morning and dad went into Kroger’s and got a gallon of milk and a box of
Krispy Kreme! All-in-all, a really fun trip!!!
My family's vacations were just camping trips, we never had money to go on cruises, to go to Disney world, or other popular family vacation spots. The only time we'd go to the ocean is when we went to visit our grandma. I was always jealous we never "went on vacation" that we just took camping trips. What is funny though, it that, every time mom and dad told me we were going to go camping, I'd get excited. It wasn't until others bragged about there vacations I'd get jealous.
I grew up (and I'm still on) a budget and going camping was our vacation, and I have so many fond memories of our camping trips. My memories are of great adventures and fun, I always wonder if all the other families who'd "go" on vacations rather than camping have as good of memories of the vacations as me.

Another fond memory is the smell and feel of my pillow when we'd get up early to leave for a trip. The pillow case was a nice cold temperature and the smell...I can't describe!

No matter what your vacation is, remember to enjoy it! You don't need money to create memories!!!
Your Country Rose,
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a trip! Sounds like something that would happen to my family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep- camping really gave us a lot of great memories!

    ReplyDelete