Sunday, January 23, 2011

*Repose sigh* Childhood Memories

The other day; my siblings and I were talking about the TV show, Pokemon, and we were talking about how much fun we had watching the series and how we missed being a kid.
We got to talking about the opening music and trying to remember the lyrics. Were remembered most of them but not all of it. So I decided to YouTube it...
'I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was...'  the moment it started playing, WHOOSH, I was back in our old house, 8 years old sitting on the couch in the early summer morning; the crisp air blowing through the opened window as my siblings and I were watching Pokemon...
Do you ever have those moments? Where a sight, sound or even better, smell, brings to back to a moment years ago? I love it when that happens.

When I watch old Disney movies I remember my childhood. Lion King was my all time favorite when I was a kid. Ha ha, I remember pretending with my sister that we were lions. 

When I see children today, I, to be honest, feel sorry for them. Most children by age 10 have there own cellphone, and are trying to be sexy and grown up. Society (-but I must add, parents are to blame too) keeps pushing growing up, not being young.

I have moments even now, that, well, I go through a..sort of mid-life crises, well I guess it's more like one-forth life crises...when I wish with all my heart that I was young again, and I could relive the games all my siblings and I would play. All the adventures we would have....the care feel life all children have....
But here we are, my older brother getting ready to head to Florida for his underwater welding degree, my sister getting ready to apply for college, one of my younger brothers graduating high school-planning on what school he's going to go to. My baby brother talking about getting his temps and a job....

I remember when we'd go to a store or camping, I'd choose what stuffed animal to bring with my, and I'd apologize to the ones I didn't bring ( hugging and kissing all of them) telling them next time would be there turn.

I'm still a child at heart. I love Disney movies (almost any animated movie). I loath scary movies (I loath being scared!). I want to go to Disney World so bad! I still make my animal crackers make what ever noise there species makes. I still love reading children books- especially Dr. Seuss books! I still find it fun when my socks have characters on them, I still get excited when mom tells me that we're going on a hike. I have a hard time going to bed if I don't hug and kiss my mom goodnight. I don't like going to the bathroom at night by myself. I still love coloring picture and coloring in coloring books. I enjoy playing with play-dough. I still find magic in everyday life. I still love playing in a playground.

If you're young and reading this, please, please, PLEASE, don't worry about what other kids say, if you still enjoy playing pretend, play pretend, because one day, it will be nearly impossible to do. Growing up is way over rated, and when your parents tell you not to be in a hurry to grow up; listen to them! Growing up brings you nothing but bills and responsibility.

I never wished to be 'grown up' or 'older'. I wished I could pause time.
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment