Wednesday, November 24, 2010

If it rains, It pours

Living on a farm, you notice a domino affect. Murphy's Law. If anything can go wrong, it will. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. In nature, nothing is ever right. Therefore, if everything is going right ... something is wrong....you get the point...well, yesterday, was one of those days...Please note this all happened yesterday.
Yesterday day morning, as I made my way out to do chores, I heard the chickens, and I was like, "oh, Samantha forgot to lock them in the coop, oh, well..." but I was only kind of right, she forgot to lock the coop and the chicken run door, so all 24+ chickens were all over the goats field. that sits next to the road, and our yard where chicken killing dogs roam...so, I went back inside to fetch Samantha...They (thankfully were put away easy enough and none were missing....So, as I was finishing milking, Samantha was letting the ducks out and her drake (Kenshin) jumped right out of the box, and waddled right out of the run, and just like that, took off flying...Samantha and I stood there, mouth agape, watching in stunned silence (in our heads waving good bye) because there was nothing we could do. He went about ten feet in the air, turned and crash landed into a pile of netting. As Samantha went to quickly grab him, she left the run open and all the other ducks started to waddle to the open area, thankfully, she grabbed Kenshin quick enough to stop anymore escapee's. What a way to begin a day hu?
So moving onto the evening...first, as stated in last blog, we've been stalling Quartermaine during the night...
Samantha was already outside working on a new run for the ducks when I went out to start feeding the horses. I go into the stall area and there's Quartermaine behind the ropes in his 10X20 stall. I was like, "uh, Samantha, did you put Quartermaine away?" she said no, so we figured he jumped/went under to get into his stall where he's safe. I start working on tightening the ropes and I notice something red on the latch, I think, 'hmmm, that kind of looks like blood' a minute or two later I glance up at Quartermaine (who's been standing right next to my left shoulder this whole time-his face inches from mine) and all I see is raw skin and blood; I gasp and about freak out...Calming myself down I see it's not as bad as I first thought (though it is bad). I yell for Samantha who has a flash light, so I could see the wounds better and check his body for any other wounds. He has six inch long  one inch wide scrap down the center of the center of his nose and right by his left eye he has a two by two inch (real bad) scrap, RIGHT by his eye looks like there may be a punctured, his eye's swollen halfway shut. Blood dripping down his face....and on his back left leg he has a three by three gash....All of his gashes are clean, as if someone took a sharp knife and cut the skin off, there's no dirt, straw, hay, bunched skin, nothing...the stall doesn't have any blood so he got the wounds before he went into the stall.....We can't think of anything that could of caused it.......what a day, what a day!!!!

This morning, went a whole lot smoother, though it was freezing outside!! Quartermaine's looking ok, we kept him stalled because the wind is wicked and we don't want him pushed outside or have him beat on by the other horses. Tomorrow's turkey day!! So, Happy, Thanksgiving everyone!!!
Gabrielle W.
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment