Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Nuc Installation

Yesterday morning, I installed the nuc to there new home! The fun started way before I was even handling the bees...

First, I had to get the smoker going to make sure the bees would stay calm and not decided to defend there hive...It's a windy dayl have you ever tried to light a match or lighter in the wind....so once I was the smoker fuel going I closed the lid, waited a few moments and went to check to see if it was still going...I waited 5 seconds tops, well, my finger slipped off the handle touched the lid, ouch! I heard my finger sizzle!!! Now I have a big blister on my finger....So I get out to where the hive is and get everything ready; first I had to let the horse into a difforent field so they would stay out of my way; well, I un-hooked handles and started to open the elecric wire gate...where we had connected wires there was a....twist part that caught on my jeans....the fence was one....and it's designed to keep horses and cows in......MY LEG STARTED KICKING MY IT'S SELF!!! Over and over!! I'm laughing/screaming with agony....mom and dad who came out to watch/help/take pictures started laughing, the horse stood still staring at me like I was crazy.....I finally got it unhooked and dad turned the wire off (which might of been a good idea in the first place) so I could fix it where I had pulled it off during my electrocution. After that I put my veil and gloves, got the nuc from dad who was holding it, cut the tape that was holding the lid on the nuc....
It went beautifully! It was so amazing!!!  At first when dad handed me the nuc I was like,
"uh....it's buzzing! Lots and lots of buzzing!! They're mad at me!!!!"
Of course they weren't made they were just cooling the hive and doing there jobs....I slowly lifted the frames (which were covered with bees and comb!) and put them into there new home....It was awsome! Bees are awsome!!

Yesterday we took the chickens to the stable and today mom took Naomi and Handsome to the stable...I miss Naomi; but I know she's in great hands and I know children will love seeing her!

It's beautiful today! Gonna go and enjoy it!!!!
P.S.
I'll get picture of our hive on here soon!!

 ~~Gabrielle W.~~
"The Lord directs the steps of a christian. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalms 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment